Before You Move to Canada

Whether you are a Canadian returning to Canada to live permanently or a US citizen being transferred to Canada for employment you will need a plan in place to help you manage the myriad of tasks required and to ensure you get the best return for your time, effort and expenses. Contrary to common perception planning for a move north across the US – Canadian border is not necessarily the reverse of a move south. Some of the broader issues are similar, but the procedures and solutions often differ.

Common issues are:

  • Should I consider giving up my US citizenship or green card?
  • What are the tax implications of keeping my investments in the US?
  • How will my US investments be taxed in Canada?
  • What strategies should I employ regarding the liquidation of any US investments?
  • Will I still be eligible for US Social Security? How will these benefits be taxed?
  • How will my US pension benefits, stock options, or deferred compensation arrangement be affected by my move?
  • Would it be advantageous for me to set up a pre-entry trust before leaving the US?
  • What forms do I need to file with the IRS prior to departure?

Immigration, Cash Management, Insurance, Retirement Planning, Investment and Estate Planning issues all need to be addressed in a good cross-border plan. KeatsConnelly has been helping clients do this successfully since 1990.

Before you move to Canada, contact us for more information »

Cross-Border Series
The Border Guide
Now available in its 11th edition, The Border Guide has sold over 80,000 copies and is considered the definitive cross-border financial tool for Canadians living, working and investing in the United States.
A Canadian's Best Tax Haven
This book will show you how to realize your dream of living a lifestyle in a climate that allows for year-round golfing and sandy beaches while lowering your taxes and cost of living.
Taxation of Canadians in America
This book addresses individual US taxation and estate planning issues you will face as a Canadian living in the US.
Taxation of Americans in Canada
US citizens and green card holders are subject to US tax regardless of where they reside in the world. Are YOU at risk?

Crossing the Border?
Get Updates from Us